United Methodist Women is an international organization that engages in missions and advocates for justice and equality, particularly for women and children. Our purpose is to know God and grow in faith through Jesus Christ; to develop a supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in global ministries of the United Methodist Church.
The Aldersgate UMW unit raises money for local, national and international missions and advocacy work, and engages in hands-on service in the church and community.
Areas of emphasis for UMW for 2016-2020 are climate justice, mass incarceration, economic inequality and maternal and child health.
The Aldersgate unit meets on the first Thursday of the month from March through December. In 2018 we will meet at 1:30 p.m. in Fellowship Hall on March 1, April 5, May 3, Oct. 4, Nov. 1 and Dec. 6. We will have a potluck salad supper at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, in Fellowship Hall. Check the newsletter and bulletin for information on programs and speakers.
In addition, we have several sub-groups
The Mother Carrie circle meets at 9:30 a.m. on the third Thursday of the month, March through July and September through December, in Fellowship Hall.
The Fellowship Circle meets at 1:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month, March through July and September through December.
UMW Book Club meets monthly except for July and August at various times; check the newsletter and bulletin for information.
For more information and to get involved, contact Aldersgate UMW president Nancy Stockdale at 515-991-5978.
For more information about United Methodist Women, visit unitedmethodistwomen.org.
The United Methodist Men (UMM) at Aldersgate actively focus on cultivating opportunities for Men, of all ages, to deepen their faith, become vital leaders, and serve the community around them. We work together to provide a space where all men are welcome to be their self and build lasting relationships.
Meeting the 3rd Saturday of the Month at 8 am in the Fellowship Hall.
If you have questions about the UMM at Aldersgate contact Kaj Sinclair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission: To Help Men Grow In Christ, So Others May Know Christ.
4 Areas of Focus for United Methodist Men
We strive to offer opportunities for men to be involved in all four areas of focus which will reach the world for Christ. United Methodist Men are responding to the four areas of focus in the following ways:
Developing principled Christian Leaders…
- Training UM Men leaders for ministry of Jesus Christ through Advanced Lay Speaking Course.
- Training Men’s and Scouting Ministry Specialists to serve in every conference by 2012.
- Training and equipping leaders in Central Conferences in scouting and men’s ministry with on-site visits and on-line courses.
- Training youth to be effective, caring leaders in church and community through ministries with Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Campfire and 4-H.
New places for new people and renewal of existing congregations…
- Awakening and building new spiritually as a means to revive congregations.
- Training clergy and lay leaders in effective discipleship of men.
- Encouraging and equipping men to serve their pastors and congregations as ministry partners.
- Assisting UMC leaders beyond the USA with relevant training and resources.
Ministry with the poor...
- Training UMM leaders to become advocates and friends of the poor, and eliminate the effects of poverty and racism.
- Expanding US hunger relief efforts through the Society of Saint Andrew.
- Supporting children of incarcerated parents through Amachi.
- Expanding global hunger relief through Stop Hunger Now.
- Directing UM scout troops in advocacy and fundraising for Nothing but Nets.
- Caring for hearing impaired Haitian children through Hope of Hearing.
- Anti-tobacco advocacy through Faith United Against Tobacco.
More information on the United Methodist Men [Click Here]